VAI: Precarious work in architecture (Workshop 3)
Flanders Architecture Institute (VAi) is organising a workshops series and lecture with a pop-up exhibition Intersections: Invisible in Architecture. The third workshop in this series is about the working environment of the architect, striking precarities and lost energies.
Moderated by Paulien Gekiere (Dear Architects,) the workshop will take place in Globe Aroma, Brussels on 2 May 2023, at 18.30.
Precarious work in architecture
Exploring care in architecture for its 2022-2023 season, Flanders Architecture Institute (VAi) is organising a workshops series and lecture with a pop-up exhibition Intersections: Invisible in Architecture. Central to this thought-provoking series co-curated by Hülya Ertas and Luce Beeckmans is the question: “Who has been marginalized by / silenced in the architectural production?” In the series Intersections: Invisible in Architecture, we ambition to collectively discuss those groups of people, often at the intersection of class, race and gender, that are essential for the architectural production, but that are nonetheless marginalised or forgotten by it. Simulteanously, we will discuss what the consequences of these processes of precarization, marginalization and silencing are for the discipline and practice of architecture. Hence, in a decolonial spirit, we will touch upon those issues which today’s architectural production does not see or perhaps does not want to see.
- Paulien Gekiere penned an open letter, titled Dear Architects, in October 2022, calling attention to the precarious workspace conditions of architects. She graduated as an interior architect from St. Lucas, Ghent in 2012 and completed her master’s in landscape and historic preservation at the University of Antwerp in 2014. She is currently working as a portfolio manager at aNNo architecten and as a guest lecturer in Management at the Master of Interior Architecture, KULeuven.
Registration via VAI website.
- Workshop 1: 21.03.2023 Bouwen: tegen welke prijs?
- Workshop 2: 02.05.2023 Onzeker werk in de architectuur
- Workshop 3: 02.05.2023 Herpositionering van de architectuurcultuur vanuit de marge
- Pop-up tentoonstelling 17.05-02.07 2023 Intersections: Invisible in Architecture